Skincare Tips for the Traveler
LMents of Style uses affiliate links. By clicking on certain hyperlinks and buying a product, you may help me make a small commission off your purchase. It's links like these that keep this site going. Thank you for your support!
Happy Monday! We are now halfway through May and that much closer to summer...which is basically the start of travel season in the United States! Right now Nick and I don't have a trip planned until September, which is kind of sad...hoping to getaway to at least one place before then! Keep on dropping, you Denver, CO flights!! This year not so much, but in the past couple of years, I have traveled a TON. Yes, it is always fun, bit it can take a toll on your skin!
SO in preparation for all of the trips I hope you're taking, here are some of the tips and tricks I have learned throughout the years. These are geared more at flying than driving, but are really good best practices regardless.
- Fly without Makeup - this can be hard if you are self conscious or if you have somewhere to be right after you land, but if you can...DO IT. Planes dry out your skin and there so many germs and such, just trust me. Your skin will thank you.
- Wear Sunscreen. Okay so yeah, don't wear makeup, but do your normal skincare routine and end with sunscreen. If you're flying at night, you get a free pass! Otherwise, your skin is exposed to a lot harsher versions of the suns rays, because you're in the sky. Also, you don't always have control of the window and if it is covered or not.
- Drink loads of water /Bring an empty water bottle. I mentioned dehydration in the first tip, but here it is again! Quite frankly, I always finish the little water cup they give me before they even walk away from my aisle! An easy hack is to bring an empty water bottle in your carry on and fill it before you board the plane. If you can, only drink water on the plane. Your body is losing a lot of it during the trip, which directly affects your skin.
- Wear glasses/ Bring contacts. If this applies to you, that is ;) Your skin and body aren't the only things that dry out. Your eyes do too! Wear your glasses and bring your contacts and solution. When the plane is about to land, pop your contacts in and you're good to go! If you need to wait until the plane lands, just head to the bathroom right after and do it then.
- Use Hand Sanitizer. Um, can you say germs? Bring some with you and use regularly! A couple cruelty-free and nontoxic options are Everyone Hand Sanitizer Spray and Elyptol Hand Sanitizer.
Now that I shared some easy tips, here's my skincare products pre, during, and post flight, in chronilogical order!
Cleanser - One Love Organics Easy Does It Foaming Cleanser. This has been my go-to cleanser for the past couple of montsh. I am obsessed with it! I recently did a whole review of some of the One Love Organics line here.
Toner - Thayer's Witch Hazel and Rose Petal Alcohol Free Toner. If you don't use toner, you should! If you're unsure why, I recently did a post called What's a Toner and Why Use it.
Serum - Osea Malibu Hyaluronic Serum. I recently started using this, because my face has just been dry. It's a water based serum that is made to help hydrate you, which you neeeed on a plane. I included it on my May Favorites post.
Oil - Telluride Glow.. I don't usually put on oils for the day, but when I do, it's telluride glow! I first posted it on my Skincare Routine for Skiing and Winter Elements post. It was technically made for the Colorado climate, but works perfectly for flying. My skin always feels so plum and hydrated when I use it.
Moisturizer - Osea Atmosphere Protection Cream. This one is pretty self explanatory, as it's literally in the name; however, I love that it is lightweight and locks in hydration.
Sunscreen - Biossance Squalene and Mineral Sunscreen SPF 45. You have to rub it in more than my beloved Supergoop! Unseen sunscreen, but this one has a better toxicity rating and a higher SPF. #winning I've been using it for the past month under my makeup and it isn't greasy looking or anything like that. I would recommend it! I included it on my May Favorites post as well.
PRODUCTS IN FLIGHT
On the go Cleansing - Biossance Cleansing Wipes. If you can't clean your face before the flight, these works perfectly during flight. OR, you can use them after the flight if you need to immediately apply makeup. I love that these are individually packaged!
Baggage you hope gets lost on the flight - Honest Hazel Eye Gels Pack. I first saw these on @IttsMeEmily 's instastories and they are so cool! They are basically a face mask, but just for under your eyes. No more under eye bags!
De-puffer - Jade Roller. This is the ultimate de-puffer for the plane. If you want to get more bang for your buck, as the flight attendant for some ice and make it a chilled jade roller! To learn more about facial rolling and the jade roller, click here.
Water your Face - Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist.This is another insta-hydrator. Just spray and you're good! Maybe put this on, then jade roll, for the ultimate combo.
Lip Moisture - Burt's Bee's Chapstick. I seriously go into panic mode when I can't find my chapstick in general, but on a plane, it's even worse! My lips get so chapped and BB is the best.
PRODUCTS POST FLIGHT
Cleanser - One Love Organics Easy Does It Foaming Cleanser. Same as above :)
Toner - Thayer's Witch Hazel and Rose Petal Alcohol Free Toner. Same as above :)
Face Mask - Tata Harper Purifying Mask. I am currently obsessed with face masks! I know some people like to do these on the plane, but I'd rather wait until I get off the plane, so I can take a whole shower, etc. I keep reaching for the TH Purifying Mask, because it feels so dang good! They describe it as a juice cleanse for your face, so must be good, right?! Back in January I did a whole post on cruelty-free and nontoxic face masks!
Toner - Thayer's Witch Hazel and Rose Petal Alcohol Free Toner. YES. Tone again.
Serum - Osea Malibu Hyaluronic Serum. Same as above ;)
Oil - Oh Mega One Love Organics Chia Oil. This is calming both in regards to aromatherapy and aiding your skin. It assists with redness and is superfood for your face.
Moisturizer - Juice Beauty Green Apple Age Defy Moisturizer. I loooove this moistruizer, because it's so creamy and good.
Usually I try to take flights where I don't have to do anything right after, or ideally, I can just go to sleep, so that is what this is geared for. Do you have any travel skincare tricks?! Do tell!
P.S. if you liked this post, you'll probably enjoy my post on 15 Favorite Travel Products!
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe and receive every post in your inbox!