Top 10 Favorite Fashion Books
I have always loved to read, but it's hard for me to find a lot of time to devote to it. With my spare time, I often choose sleep...and I don't even get enough of that. I will say that I always carry a book in my purse, just in case; however, "just in case" rarely comes along. Usually, I get the most reading done, on vacation! Whether it's on a beach or a plane, I love to read.
I was in Seattle a couple of weeks ago, so this foggy, Fall City shoot, only seemed fitting for this topic! I could have sat for hours, on the patio, with cups of hot tea and a couple good books, as my only companions. Since I majored in apparel merchandising, I always love to keep up with designers and businesses. I often get asked what are my favorite books + what fashion books I recommend. Below are my all time favorite apparel books and ones that are next on my list.
1) Overdressed. I think this is my favorite book, because it seriously defines today's shopper. If you are currently a fan of cheap chic, this may or my not change your mind...!
2) Deluxe: How Luxury Lost its Luster. Since this book was published, we have taken the special-ness out of luxury even more. It is simply fascinating and examines all aspects of the apparel industry.
3) Genuine Authentic. I have a thing for learning about designers I obsess over and Ralph Lauren is one of those. Though he isn't necessarily an American designer (in the sense of designing), he has still had a huge impact on the American apparel industry.
4) Coco Chanel: The Legend and the Life. Another designer I L O V E. I can't help but love this biography. Coco brought much more to the fashion scene than cigarettes and a suntan. I wish more people knew that.
5) Bringing Home The Birkin. If you don't like biographies or text books, this is your fashion book. It's a true story, that reads like a novel!
6) How to be Lovely. It may not be directly about fashion, but I am obsessed with Audrey Hepburn. She is still such a major fashion icon and influenced many. Just like a smile is your best accessory, being lovely can be as well.
7) The Anatomy of a Trend. Trends are such a big deal today, why wouldn't you want to learn more? I love diving deeper than society recognizes.
8) The End of Fashion. Like I have said, I love learning more about fashion than meets the eye. This book spills it all!
9) Girlboss. Until Kirsten Blowers of Riffraff writes a book, then this will be my favorite girl boss book. (ps you can always get 15% off + Free Shipping w/code "RiffraffRepLauren" at checkout on ShopRiffraff.com) I enjoy reading how people got to where they are and Sophia Amoruso really pusher herself, to get where she got..
10) If you have to cry, go outside. I will always heed others' advice. Honestly, I have cried inside, so I obviously still need help!
My To-Read List:
-The Beautiful Fall. I own this book and it's my next one to read!
-Behind The Label. I have never been to LA, but I plan on reading this, then making several appointments. I love the Made in the U.S.A. industry and am itching to learn more.
Louis Vuitton: The birth of modern Luxury. I love LV and can only respect LVMH. Because I loved Deluxe so much, I think I will enjoy this book.
-I'll Drink to That. I always love learning and seeing fashion from others' point of view, so it's no surprise I want to read this.
-Blogging Your Way to the Front Row. Because I only see blogging as a growing hobby/job for me, I would love to read what Yuli Ziv has to say, no matter how dated. (It was published in 2011)
-The Glitter Plan. Juicy Tracksuits may not be in style anymore, but they used to be, back with P and G ran the brand. Any brand advice I can get, I'll take. Establishing a branded name is super important!
- In My Shoes. I own and have read the Jimmy Choo memoir, so it only makes sense that I continue that series and read more about Tamara Mellon. She's doing something right, that' for sure!
-The Vogue Factor. Vogue is such a big name, I could read anything and everything about them.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe and receive every post in your inbox!